Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Scrappy Sampler Quilt

Lately I've been thinking about quilts like this:



And this:


And this:


And how I absolutely love them. And I think I've come up with a way for each of us to have a wonderful, scrappy, everything and anything sort of quilt by the end of the year. This is how it's going to go. Every other month, I'll introduce a classic sort of quilt block. I'll give a brief tutorial. I'll write a blog post with a whole list of tutorials. I'll throw in a whole heck of a lot of inspirational pins. Then, if you'd like to participate, you soak in all that inspiration, grab your scraps and make six blocks. However you'd like. Make them exact. Make them wonky. Make them big. Make them little. Make them yours. (Maybe make a couple of extra to keep). Bring your six blocks to the next meeting. We'll pass them around and you'll go home with six blocks made by others. The next month, I'll introduce another block. Next month, another block exchange. On and on. Until, by the end of the year, you'll have 36 wonderful, unique, scrappy, fantastic blocks to make into a quilt. Add any extra blocks you made and any orphan blocks you have lying around. Can you tell how excited I am about this?

Without further ado, January's block is the classic, timeless Sawtooth Star!

Basic Tutorials-
Sew Mama Sew
The Purl Bee
Thought and Found (Look at her tutorials for a ton of Sawtooth Star variations.)

Inspiration-










Source: flickr.com via Trina on Pinterest














And my personal favorite-

Source: flickr.com via Trina on Pinterest



There, that should keep you busy for a while. Let me know if you have any questions! Otherwise, see you February 9th with your blocks in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment