Thursday, April 16, 2015
Our next meeting is April 17th- this Friday night. We'll be meeting at 6 pm in the old Bella Boutique in downtown Kimberly. Since we had to move to Friday night, we won't be doing an actual meeting- no demonstration or show and tell. Just bring your machine, projects and some snacks to share and we'll have a fun night sewing together.
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
It's official. Our Christmas Party this year was the best ever. The only way it could have been better would have been to have every single member there. Great food, lots of laughter, wonderful gifts. It was a fantastic day.
Before I throw a whole bunch of pictures from that night at you, I have just a quick little bit of business. Our next meeting with be Saturday, January 10th. The (new) Quilt Barn overwhelmingly won the vote, so the meeting will be there. The meeting will start at 6 and be followed by a late night sew. It's up to Heather if she wants to open up earlier for that for a little pre-meeting sewing. $15 dues will be due at that meeting.
Alright- on to the photos!
Bad picture of a great bag! This pattern.
Divided Basket. Pattern also available at the Quilt Barn.
Pat's snazzy new leg warmers.
There was a lot of excitement over this Weekender Bag- of course.
Pat's finished Scrap Jar Stars Quilt! I promised a prize for the first finished quilt and I delivered.
Emilee's wonderful vintage baby quilt.
Jenele's super cute owl ornaments which I can't get to turn the right way!
Tara's Modern Building Blocks Quilt Top.
And her Charming Stars Quilt Top.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
November 8th, 2014
Number in Attendance- 11
1. I have Heather's orange blocks from the Scrap Jar Stars block exchange. If you'd like to get them before the next meeting, contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we'll work out a way to get it to you.
2. The Guild Christmas Party (also known as the best meeting of the year) is going to be December 6th. It will be at the Hen House Retreat Center right behind The Quilt Barn in Kimberly. The Hen House will be open at 1 pm for those who can come and sew the afternoon away. Our regular meeting will be at 6 pm. Also at 6 will be our potluck dinner and gift exchange. Then we'll stay for a late night sew until Heather kicks us out. It really is a lot of fun and I hope everyone can be there. Email me if you have any questions. Also, let me know what you'll be bringing to the potluck so we don't end up with five pans of funeral potatoes.
3. The recipe for the fantastic pumpkin cake Emilee brought can be found here- Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake.
4. Show and Tell-
Emilee's super cute kid's clothes.
A really uninformative picture of Pat's adorable quilt and matching pillow. The pattern for the quilt can be found here- Half Square Triangle Quilt.
A truly horrible picture of the beautiful quilts Jenele made for her soon to arrive grandbaby. I should be flogged for this one.
A somewhat better picture of the amazing bag that Nicke made for Tara as part of a swap. Tara's going to have to keep her eye on this one when I'm around.
Alexandra's new pillow for her living room redecoration. I wish I had gotten a picture of the back- it has prairie points.
That's it. See you all soon!
Monday, October 6, 2014
Alright, ladies...it's almost time for our next meeting! It will be this Saturday, October 11th at Hancock Fabrics in Twin Falls. This promises to be a busy, fun meeting so try and plan to be there. There are a few things I need to tell you about it.
First of all, this is it- the absolute end of the Scrap Jar Star Blocks exchange. Bring your finished blocks to the meeting (or drop them off at my house beforehand if you can't be there). We are going to swap these blocks come heck or high water!
Next up, we're going to do a little scrap swap, sew along at the meeting. The tutorial we've chosen is Maureen Cracknell's Herringbone Quilt. If you'd like to participate here's what you need to do. First of all, go familiarize yourself with the tutorial. Second of all, prepare some scraps to swap. You'll need at least a gallon size Ziploc bag full of 2.5" by 14.5" strips. Third, prepare your batting. You'll need at least one strip of batting measuring 8" by 64" to get started. The batting needs to be a natural fiber and low loft. If you'd like to make a different sized quilt- it's up to you to figure out the math and what size batting strip you'll need. I'm sticking with the measurements from the tutorial just for easiness sake. Fourth, show up at the meeting (either at 4 or at 6) with your machine, your bag of scraps and your batting. We'll dump all the scraps in a pile and start sewing our own herringbone quilts.
Last of all, we'll be drawing names for our Christmas gift swap at this meeting. Think long and hard about whether you'd like to participate. It's not a huge commitment- just ten dollars worth of supplies, fabric or a finished project. But, it's no fun when the person who drew your name doesn't show up. If you'd like to participate, but won't be at the meeting on Saturday, just let me know so I can put your name in.
I think that's it. Email me (email@example.com) if you have any questions. See you Saturday!
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Alright, ladies, the blocks for the Scrap Jar Stars block exchange were due at our meeting on Saturday. First of all, I want to show you how amazing the ones I have look together.
Aren't they going to make an stunning quilt? I, for one, am so excited to start sewing these together!
So.....if you signed up for the exchange and your blocks are almost done, can I challenge you to complete them this week and then bring them by my house? That way I can swap them all out and make bundles for anyone who's anxious to get started to come and pick up.
Email or call me if you have any questions!
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
July 19th, 2014
7 members in attendance and 1 new visitor
We met in our new home- the classroom at Hancock Fabrics. It worked out great.
1. Our next meeting will be August 9th. We have the classroom reserved starting at 4 pm for sewing time. The official meeting will begin at 6 and then we can stay and sew afterward until 8:30.
2. Due to some conflicts, we changed the date of the September meeting. It will be September 20th.
3. I've been spreading some misinformation about the exchange blocks. I had it stuck in my head that they were due in August. I've been reminded that we originally decided on swapping them in September. Whoops. I'm sorry if I told you August. We will be swapping them at the September meeting.
4. Show and Tell
Well, that's all I've got for today. Hope to see everyone at the next meeting!
Thursday, May 8, 2014
We were small in number this month but big in enthusiasm and determination! We had seven members present for some big decision making.
1. I should have member directories ready for everyone at the next meeting. I would have had them this meeting but I didn't realize the copy shop closes at 3 on Saturday! It's a good thing, since I've found a couple of typos and one omission since then.
2. We discussed all our options since the Quilt Barn is moving and will no longer have a classroom for us to meet in. Our next meeting- June 14th will still be at the Quilt Barn at 6pm. After that, we decided that the classroom at Hancock Fabric in Twin Falls is probably our best option. We'll start meeting there in July. It should still be the second Saturday of each month. We are considering moving the meeting to earlier since we will only be able to stay until the store closes at 9 pm. We'll discuss that and decide for sure at the June meeting. We're going to try and meet in the Hen House at least twice a year- for our Christmas party, for example. Because it really is a fantastic place to sew.
3. I decided we should have a really good giveaway since we discussing such serious and somber stuff. Congratulations to Emilee for winning our giveaway- a $20 Quilt Barn gift certificate!
4. I demonstrated some methods for quicker, easier hand sewn bindings. Here's an online tutorial that's closest to how I sew bindings. Would any machine binding expert like to volunteer to demo that for us next month?
5. Just a couple of things from show and tell-
My finally finished English Paper Pieced, hand-quilted Stars quilt.
Emilee's adorable Easter dress and tie she made for her kids.
6. Alright, I think that's all I've got for now. See you all at 6 pm on June 14th at The Quilt Barn!